Most areas don’t have a shortage of roofing companies, but what could be lacking is a high degree of professionalism. Whether you check them out online or call them on the phone, every company will claim to be experts in the roofing business, and some may talk a big game but be unable to deliver.
It goes without saying that major commercial roof repairs and complete replacements are expensive projects. Unfortunately, you could end up spending even more money fixing poor quality work if the roofer you hire is not legit. For the sake of your building, your employees and your business operation, be wary of roofing scams.
The first thing you need to do is separate the good roofing companies from the shady ones. Here are some important qualities to look for in a commercial roofing contractor in Traverse City, MI:
- Insured, licensed and bonded: Installing and repairing any roof requires a specific skillset and knowledge, but the roofers should also be insured, licensed and bonded. These are some of the most important factors to keep in mind when choosing a roofing company. If the company you hire is not insured, then you will be responsible for any accidents, damage or injury that happens on your property. Be sure to you see proof of insurance from the contractor before signing any contracts.
- Has a permanent location: A lot of business is done over the phone and the internet these days, but agreeing to roofing services this way is not recommended. It’s in your best interest to make sure the company has a permanent business location (not a P.O. Box), a local phone number and tax ID number. Choose a company that can verify their business location over one that cannot.
- Able to provide references: A good roofing company will be able to provide several references upon request. You should contact these references and ask questions regarding the quality of the company’s service and workmanship. In addition to calling references, check out customer feedback online or testimonials on company websites.
- Gets licenses and permits: Most U.S. counties require home and building owners to obtain the proper building license and permit for their project. Yes, these can be expensive, but a trustworthy roofing contractor knows the importance of these documents, and they will not think twice about getting them. Keep in mind that even though roofing contractors know how to get these licenses and permits, it’s your responsibility to know which ones are required for the type of work being done and that the roofer actually secures them.
- Will provide guarantees: A reputable roofing company will provide guarantees. This gives assurance that the business will do a good job and back up their work should anything associated with the project fail. Along the same lines, the products and materials used are usually guaranteed but the manufacturer up to a determined amount of time, while contractors should offer at least a one-year guarantee for installation services.
Need to plan out and schedule a big roofing job? Call Qualified Roofing to speak with an experienced commercial roofing contractor in Traverse City, MI today. We’re currently offering 5 to 7 percent discounts for projects with flexible scheduling!