The aesthetic components of a home’s roof are important to most homeowners, but don’t forget to take into account things like the type of roofing shingles, cost of materials, installation requirements and more while you’re preparing to make this substantial investment. Below are some tips from professional roofers in Traverse City, MI to help you choose the best new roof for your house.
Learn roofing terminology
Even if you are planning to hire a roofing contractor to do the job, you can benefit from knowing some of the most common roofing terminology. First, roofers usually talk in squares when referring to measurements, not square feet. A square is a basic unit of measurement. For example, one square is 100 square feet in area, which is the equivalent of one 10-foot by 10-foot square.
Know the cost of a new roof
Many things will affect the final cost of a new residential roof. While the price tag of the roofing material you choose will make up the bulk of the cost, keep in mind there are other important factors to consider. Let’s take, for example, the condition of the existing roof on your house. Are the old materials in such bad condition that all of them must be stripped off? What about the state of the structural support underneath the old roof? Another contributing factor is the shape of the roof and necessary rooftop features.
Select the best type of roofing material
Even though there are many options, not every roofing material will work on every roof. Materials like slate and tile are heavy, so the structure of the home needs to be able to hold the weight. A roof with a low slope may need a surface that’s different from a steeper pitched roof. The best thing to do is consider your options and have a meeting with your roofing contractor. Here are a few popular material options to consider:
- Wood: Cedar, southern pine and redwood are the more common types of wood roofing shingles. They last an average of 25 years and cost about half the price of asphalt shingles. Check that your local fire codes allow wood roof installations.
- Asphalt: This is the most commonly used roofing material, as it’s affordable and is easy to install. Asphalt shingles are made of a fiberglass medium mixed with asphalt, while their surface is covered with sand-like granules.
- Metal: If you want a durable roof, take a look at steel, copper and aluminum materials. All of these are on the pricy side, but they will last a long time.
- Slate: Of all the roofing materials, slate is one of the most durable options. Some slate comes from quarries in states such as Vermont or Pennsylvania. Not all slate is the same, and the best quality material will outlast the fasteners holding the shingles in place.
- Tile or cement: Those half-cylinder shingles you see are a Spanish Colonial or Mission style, while cement can imitate tile’s wavy appearance. These are expensive and heavy, yet very durable.
Whether you need roof repair or a roof replacement, hire roofers in Traverse City, MI that you can trust. Call Qualified Roofing today to get the assistance you need!
Categorised in: Roofer