After another long winter, your home will likely need some extra attention to get it ready for the warm months ahead. The winter can be particularly hard on your roof, which may be dealing with a number of different issues after months of punishment from the snow, ice and freezing temperatures. Your local roofing contractors in Traverse City, MI are here to tell you a little bit more about some of the most common weather-related roofing issues that you should be on the lookout for as winter draws to a close:
- Condensation accumulation: When the warm heated air from your home rises to the attic and meets with the cooler surfaces, condensation forms. Normally, the ventilation system in your roof will prevent this from happening, but during the winter months these vents may be blocked with small animals looking for warm shelter, or with snow and ice. If your roof’s vents are blocked or you have noticed that condensation is beginning to build up, you will want to get a professional in right away.
- Wind damage: Although wind has the potential to get underneath shingles and cause damage at any time of the year, your roof is particularly susceptible during the winter months. The roof’s shingles are stiffened by cold weather, which can cause them to turn brittle and make them much easier to break. Shingles that are already aged and worn are even more vulnerable to wind damage during stretches of cold weather.
- Falling tree branches: When branches become extremely weighed down with snow and ice buildup, they will begin to bend and may even snap off on top of your roof. This can cause damage to the shingles and your roof as the whole, so make sure to pay close attention to any branches that are hanging over your roof.
- Icicles: In addition to being dangerous to walk under, icicles that are hanging off the side of your roof could also be causing damage to your home. When the gutters and the eaves of the roof have to support this additional weight, excessive strain is being placed on the edge of your roof.
- Ice dams: Ice dams are another common problem for roofs during the winter months. Keep an eye out for water along the outer edges of your walls, and have an inspection conducted right away if necessary, as this might be an indication of the formation of ice dams.
Some of these common roofing issues can be extremely difficult to repair until the weather improves. This means that by the time April and May roll around, everyone in the area will want to have their roofing repairs and installations completed, and roofers’ schedules will fill up quickly. So that we are able to accommodate everyone in a timely manner, our team at Qualified Roofing is currently offering an additional 5 to 7 percent discount for those who are able to utilize flexible scheduling. To restore the condition of your roof with the help of experienced, licensed and insured roofing contractors in Traverse City, MI, give us a call today to schedule your appointment!
Categorised in: Roofing Contractors