No homeowner wants to drop thousands of dollars on property repairs unless they absolutely have to. A prime example of such a hefty expense is replacing a residential roof. Even more painful is finding out you could’ve preserved the condition of your roof simply by getting ahead of damage, like fixing leaks and broken shingles. While the weather and other factors are out of your control, there are still some things you can do to extend your roof’s life by years, namely avoiding preventable damage and keeping up with regular maintenance.
Here are the top maintenance tips to help you lengthen the lifespan of your roof and avoid costly roofing repairs in Traverse City, MI:
- Clear debris from the roof and gutters: Leaves, twigs and small branches are common kinds debris found on the top of homes and inside rain gutters. However, it’s not unheard of to find large fallen branches and even dead animals up there. Gutters clogged with leaves can cause water to back up onto the roof, or water could get underneath shingles and freeze. Low hanging tree branches could scrape along shingles and damage them. Be sure to remove rooftop clutter regularly during the rainy season.
- Make repairs right away: Because most of us don’t inspect our roofs every day, it’s easy to miss damaged spots. To extend the life of your roof, take care of damage as soon as possible, or you risk the problem getting a whole lot worse. A total roof replacement is a sizable investment, while most small fixes are manageable and affordable, if caught early enough.
- Inspect rooftop fixtures: Take some time to inspect the features on your rooftop, such as chimneys, vents, skylights, pipes and utility units. These features ultimately go into the living space or the attic of your home, or run through the walls. Check seals and flashing regularly, looking for signs of damage or wear. Also look in the attic or crawlspace and under the roof to make sure there’s no water damage or mold growth inside your house. Discolored boards and rusted nails may also indicate roof leaks.
- Check for animal damage: While up on the roof and in the attic, keep your eyes peeled for signs of animal and insect activity or damage. Squirrels, rats, mice, raccoons, birds and bugs seeking shelter can destroy roofing materials. But it’s not only chewing and digging that’s a problem—droppings and urine can eventually damage your roof.
- Head off mold and mildew: Mold, mildew, algae and moss forming on roofing shingles can be prevented. This is good news considering the fact that anything growing on your roof is capable of breaking down roof materials and causing significant damage over time. Contact a professional roofing contractor to ensure the right solutions are used to clean away mold and mildew growth.
Don’t let roof problems stress you out. If you have problems like leaks, storm damage or missing shingles, know that you can count on Qualified Roofing for truly professional roofing repairs in Traverse City, MI. Reach out to us today to learn more!
Categorised in: Roof Repair