One of the largest expenses for homeowners is roof replacement. It may seem like a hassle (and a severe kick in the wallet) to put on a new roof, but having a serious leak or a total collapse would be an even greater expense. These kinds of issues cause damage to both the roofing materials and your home’s interior. So, what can you do to make your home’s roof last longer? Keep up with preventative maintenance! It can be difficult to prevent damage caused by storms, tree branches and wildlife, but there are some other things you can control.
Preventative maintenance is a homeowner’s best friend, so get to work! Here are some guidelines to follow to extend the life of your roof and avoid costly roof repair in Traverse City, MI:
- Deal with damage immediately: This is probably the most important tip you’ll get from the pros. If you want to extend the life of your roof, then you must address leaks and damage without hesitation. Water or sunlight coming into your home can cause interior damage, which means spending more money for repairs. Waiting too long to make repairs or replace your old roof will only make the problem worse.
- Inspect for mold, algae and other matter: If you stand far back from your house and can get a good luck at your roof, you might be able to see most of the shingles. It’s a good idea to check for mold, moss, algae and mildew periodically to prevent the breakdown of roofing materials. This type of damage happens over time, but it’s best to take care of problems when they’re small. In this case, your roof may benefit from cleaning it with a pressure washer. Removing organic matter helps prevent damage, and helps your roof last longer.
- Remove debris from the roof and gutters: The size and type of debris on rooftops and in gutters will vary. There may be a broken tree branch on your roof or a bunch of fallen leaves in the rain gutters, all of which need clearing away. Prevent rot and decay by removing any debris that can trap water. Low-hanging branches can also shorten your roof’s lifespan—branches sway in the wind, scraping and damaging shingles.
- Check around rooftop features: The features on top of your roof also need checking, including chimneys, rooftop air conditioning units, skylights, vents, pipes and other utilities. A good preventative maintenance step is to inspect around these rooftop features regularly for signs of damage or compromise to the seals in between the roof and the individual features. Then, go into your attic and crawlspaces and look for mold or water damage on the underside of the roof.
- Look for wildlife damage: Those backyard squirrels may be cute, but they and other wildlife can cause a whole lot of damage to homes. Inspect your attic and exterior vent spaces for animal or insect activity. Creatures can cause all sorts of damage when looking for food and shelter. Be on the lookout for droppings, chewed materials and burrows or holes.
If you’re in need of roof repair in Traverse City, MI, look no further than the professionals at Qualified Roofing. Call us today to schedule an appointment to get your roof looked at by the experts!
Categorised in: Roof Repair