A big part of homeownership is being aware of potential problems, like damage or wear and tear to the roof. If your roof is over 20 years old, that in itself is a sign your roof is in danger of failing. An asphalt shingle roof has a 20 to 25 year lifespan. It’s around this time you should consider replacing it with new materials. But a multiple layered roof (roofing shingles installed over an existing layer of shingles) may need replacing sooner. Call a professional roofing contractor to assess the condition of your older roof.
Do you really need roofing repairs in Traverse City, MI? Here are six clear signs your roof is starting to fail:
- Curling or blistering shingles: Roof shingles that are curling, buckling, blistering, cracking or dry indicate they are no longer able to protect your home from the elements. Roofs with poor ventilation that are exposed to high levels of humidity could have blistering shingles in a short amount of time. If you can see any of these signs when looking up at your roof, you might need to install a new one.
- Missing or loose shingles: Shingles can go missing or get loose for several reasons. They could blow off during a storm, be pulled off by an overhanging tree branch or fall off due to age. Shingles that are loose or missing take away your roof’s ability to protect your home. Replace with new shingles as soon as possible.
- Granules in the gutters: Have you ever looked at the opening to your downspouts or around your house after a heavy rain, snowstorm or hailstorm and seen sand-like particles on the ground? These are granules that have come loose from the shingles, meaning the shingles are past their prime and won’t be as effective as they used to be. The older the shingles are, the more granules they’ll lose. You might want to look into shingle or roof replacement.
- Sagging roof: There’s more than one reason for sagging. Either it’s now too weak to fend off the elements, and sagging indicates deterioration, or it has too much weight sitting on top of it, like ice, snow or pooled water. A sagging roof is an obvious sign that your roof needs to be replaced. Take action now or you risk a total collapse.
- Interior water damage: A damaged or old roof may lead to water leaks inside your home or attic. A leak roof is a sign of a failing shingle underlayment or deteriorating flashing. The presence of mold and mildew could point to a roof ventilation issue.
- Loose or exposed nails: If you see nails popping out of shingles or other parts of your roof, you must have it looked at by a roofing expert immediately. Raised nails leave your roof susceptible to water damage. Areas with excessive moisture buildup cannot dry quickly, which could mean having to replace your roof well before its time.
If you ever need residential roofing repairs in Traverse City, MI, make sure to call Qualified Roofing. We’re here to help!
Categorised in: Roof Repair