Your roof plays a very important role in protecting your home. As the first line of defense, it offers protection from the weather unfolding outside while also keeping the occupants inside comfortable and dry. But sometimes the roof needs the help of a professional to keep it in top shape, just like any other feature of your home. This is where a residential roofing contractor comes in. A professional will inspect your roof and identify any potential issues before they turn into big problems, which helps you avoid spending thousands on expensive emergency roof repairs in Traverse City, MI.
Taking care of any problems as soon as they arise will help avoid any damage to the contents inside the home and prevent a premature roof replacement. Here are five warning signs that it’s time to have your roof looked at by a professional:
- Old roof: Most roofs are in a pretty questionable state once they pass that two-decade mark. The roof has likely become more prone to numerous problems over the course of its lifespan. Start planning for a roof replacement project over the years to come. Otherwise, the old roof can be a host to a myriad of age-associated problems, such as broken shingles and flashings.
- Missing shingles: Missing shingles might not seem like a big deal, but they’re actually a major threat to the foundation of the roof. The roof’s underlayment becomes exposed to water damage in areas where shingles are absent. The water can then spread from the underlayment to the attic and even lead to leaks from the ceiling. A professional can inspect the roof for any signs of water infiltration before replacing any missing shingles and handling other roof repairs in Traverse City, MI.
- Roof valleys: Do the shingles appear to be missing or falling apart in one specific area? Then it’s probably time for an inspection. Snow and rain travel from the valleys and into the gutters, protecting your home from any potential damage caused by moisture. Any compromised areas within that path can make the home more susceptible to leaks.
- Shingle granules in the gutter: Look in the gutters for any signs of shingle granules. Their presence indicates the granules are beginning to wear away from the roof. Roofs typically begin to lose more granules toward the end of their lifespan. Call a professional for roof repairs in Traverse City, MI if you notice any granules as you’re cleaning your gutters.
- Visible daylight: Look up at the attic roof to see if there is any daylight visible through the roof boards. If there is, call a roof repair specialist as soon as possible. Daylight through the roof boards usually means the underlying decking has been weakened by moisture.
Catching any problems early is the key to preventing expensive and extensive emergency roof repairs in Traverse City, MI. Call the professionals at Qualified Roofing today to schedule an inspection if you notice any of the previously mentioned warning signs.