Do you know whom to call after a destructive storm damages your roof? Repairing the roof quickly and efficiently is crucial to preventing additional damage to both the roof and your home. That doesn’t mean you should trust the first roofing contractor who comes knocking on your door. Finding a qualified roofer is an important process. You need someone who not only provides high quality work, but also is trustworthy and provides their services at a fair price. Luckily, this doesn’t have to be a difficult search as long as you follow these seven tips for finding the best roofers in Traverse City, MI:
- Ask friends and family: A great starting point is to ask your friends and family which roofing contractors they have used in the past. Inquire whether they would recommend the company, how the work has held up and if they experienced any issues. Online reviews are also a great tool, but be cautious, as they may not always tell the whole story.
- Research Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings: Unfortunately, not all contractors have your best interests at heart. Many appear immediately after a storm promising great services at an even better price. That rarely ends up being what you get, though. Take to the BBB website to make sure the contractor has a good score, and avoid any who are not listed or have low ratings.
- Think local: Look for a company with an established business and reputation in the community. This increases the likelihood that the company will still be around throughout the duration of the standard warranty period. The warranty is only good as long as the company is around.
- Check for licensing and insurance: A reputable roofing contractor will be happy to provide proof of insurance. Not having insurance could leave the homeowner financially responsible if any damage occurs or an employee is injured on the job. State licensing is also important, as it ensures the contractor meets the standards established by the state. Never hesitate to independently verify both the licensing and insurance if you’re still unsure.
- Look for experience: The best contractors will have hands-on experience and knowledge from years in the field, in addition to professional training. This ensures they are prepared to handle everything from typical repairs to any more unique challenges that might arise.
- Get everything in writing: Nothing is official until it is in writing. Never sign anything or offer payment until you have received a written estimate listing the project scope, materials, labor, an estimated completion date and cost. These can be a bit overwhelming, so don’t hesitate to ask the contractor to review the document with you prior to signing.
- Remember price isn’t everything: It’s important to remember that good work costs money throughout this process. Unusually cheap bids are typically signs of shoddy workmanship or shady business practices. Price can help you decide between two comparable companies, but it should never be the primary factor when choosing roofers in Traverse City, MI.
Call the professionals at Qualified Roofing today if you’re in need of a roofing contractor with experience and a reputation to match!