Hiring a roofer in Traverse City, MI can be a complex process. Finding, vetting and hiring a top-quality roofing company can be difficult due to the sheer number of available roofers, and you want to make sure you’re hiring the best of the best to install or repair your investment.
While you’re in the process of hiring a roofer, it’s important to speak with them and ask them questions so you know everything there is to know about the cost, timeline and communication related to your roofing project. Without asking these important questions, you might end up unhappy down the line.
Here are seven important questions to ask roofers in Traverse City, MI before the roofing process begins:
- Are you licensed in my state? Building codes and roofing licenses are different in all states, meaning a professional who is licensed in Alabama might not be up to speed with the code requirements in Michigan. For protection, only work with professional roofers in Traverse City, MI who are licensed in the state and have experience with the particular building codes.
- What types of insurance do you have? Not only do you want to know if the roofer is insured at all, but you should ask about what types of insurance they have, too. Worker’s compensation insurance protects you from having to pay for an employee’s medical bills if they get hurt on your property. General liability insurance, meanwhile, protects your property in case of a damaging accident.
- How much will this cost? Next, you’ll want to get an estimate on the cost of roof installation or repair. It’s important to ask this of many different roofers to compare and ensure you’re not being ripped off. Remember, though, that the cheapest option isn’t necessarily the best.
- Will you remove my old roof? If you’re having your entire roof replaced, ask your roofer if they will remove the existing roof. Some roofs can be shingled over, but without pulling up the old roof, you won’t be able to know if there is any structural damage beneath it.
- What method do you use to get onto the roof? This question may seem random, but it’s actually important to know for protection of your property. The ladders that roofers use can be quite heavy and might damage your gutters or the side of your home if the roofer does not use stabilizers to offset the weight. Make sure they will take steps to protect your property during the roofing process.
- Will you remove the excess or waste materials? Old shingles, nails and waste materials from your roof should be discarded in a designated container. Make sure you know that the roofer will properly dispose of the waste materials and take them off your property after the job is done so you don’t have to clean up the mess.
- What is the warranty on the new roof? Finally, make sure you are up to speed on the duration of your new roof’s warranty. Most roofs come with a warranty of at least 25 years, but every roof and company is different, so don’t assume.
If you’re in need of a top-quality roofer, call Qualified Roofing! Our roofers in Traverse City, MI have over 25 years of experience. We provide roofing installation and repair and ice elimination systems to residential and commercial customers, and have experience working with a wide variety of products. Call today for a free estimate!
Categorised in: Roofer