The snow is melting and the grass is turning green, which means spring is finally here. Spring cleaning is one of the best ways to start the season off on the right foot after a long, cold winter. One item you should add to your to-do list is spring roof repairs in Traverse City, MI. During the winter, heavy snowstorms and dangerous ice likely caused some damage—and the spring showers will only make matters worse. Taking care of any roof issues early in the season can help prevent a small problem from turning into a major repair.
Here are five major roofing issues you’ll be able to avoid this spring by having a professional take care of them early in the season:
- Loose or broken gutters: While autumn leaves are beautiful, they can wreak some serious havoc on your gutters if left to accumulate all winter long. Leaves that aren’t removed by winter will begin to deteriorate, which will eventually clog and overflow the gutters. As a result, water will be unable to easily move through the gutters and away from your home. To prevent this problem, dead leaves and other debris should be cleaned out before the first spring shower.
- Hiding animals: Much like humans, animals just want a warm and dry place to spend their winter. Oftentimes, squirrels, birds and chipmunks will make their home in loose shingles or an unused chimney. This behavior could result in some serious damage to your roof.
- Leaks: During the winter, ice and snow usually stay put. But during the spring, the ice, the snow and the rain can leak through the roof and into your home. Leaking water can damage your walls, flooring and furniture. Checking for any leaks before the spring weather sets in will help prevent costly water damage. Seek professional help immediately if you’ve noticed that the wall or ceiling is showing signs of any sort of water stains.
- Membrane separation: A roof membrane slowly tearing or peeling away is one of the most obvious signs that your roof is in trouble. A compromised roof membrane can result in serious damage, as there is no longer anything protecting the space below from the outside environment. A qualified roof specialist will note whether the roof has sustained any damage that would warrant immediate repairs before repairing the membrane.
- Algae growth: Those black streaks on your roof may be something more than just stains. These dark marks may actually be algae that has accumulated during the cold, wet winter months. Over time, the accumulation of algae can actually compromise the shingles. It’s best to have the algae removed by a professional. If not, you may be faced with having to replace each shingle that was affected by the growth. Failing to do so could make your roof more prone to leaks. Not to mention that algae is rather unsightly!
Ready to get your roof ready for spring? Call the professionals at Qualified Roofing today to schedule your spring roofing inspection and take care of any needed roof repairs in Traverse City, MI.