If your home is getting close to needing a new roof in Traverse City, MI, you may not know what to expect. Roofs last 10 to 40 years, and many homeowners or residents who bought their homes new may not have had roof installation before. Here is what you can expect when your roof is being replaced so you can plan for your possessions, pets and your own sanity:
- Noise: There are people walking on your roof as it is being installed. There is also a lot of banging around as flashing and shingles are connected. If you decided to replace gutter systems and add ice elimination measures, that is more work, and therefore even more noise. People who are sensitive to loud noises often stay away while the work is done. However, it is often pets who are the most sensitive. If you have easily startled animals, consider finding them a comfortable place on the lowest story of your home, or even boarding them on the days we are working.
- Vibration: People are often surprised that books and other items fall off shelves as we work. With all the construction work involved with a new work, your house gets jostled and items can slip from their display places. Before we visit, consider removing fragile items off high shelves and putting them somewhere secure. If you have expensive mirrors or original art hanging on the wall, remove them as well, so they are less likely to fall and sustain damage.
- Debris: While we will take steps to minimize it, there will be debris falling from your roof as we work. Remove your patio furniture, since it is likely to become dirty and dusty. Move potted plants to safe spaces away from the perimeter of your home so they are also less likely to get hit by debris. Cover any fragile shrubbery or small trees. If you have a pool, cover it, too. This is dirty work, and we are often willing to help you move larger items to a safer spot.
- Parking: If your garage is too full for your car, leaving your vehicle in the driveway is a bad idea. Sometimes, things go awry, and if a tool gets dropped or debris falls from your roof, it could damage your car. Park in the street if possible, or make room in your garage. If we are also replacing the roof on your garage, be aware that unseen breaches in your roof could lead to debris falling through the roof and damaging your vehicle. That is why even people with functional garages move their cars to the street. It gives us more room for equipment and trucks, too.
- Weather delays: It is possible to replace a roof in inclement weather, but sometimes the conditions are too much. When it is not safe for workers, we will call it a day and tarp your roof to prevent further water damage. We will give a heads-up when this is the case.
Qualified Roofing is available when you are ready for a new roof in Traverse City, MI. Call us today to schedule a consultation and estimate.
Categorised in: New Roof