When professionals install a quality roof, it can last anywhere from 20 to 30 years or more, depending on the type of material. You should maintain your roof seasonally, but it’s important to also schedule a professional roofing inspection from time to time to avoid expensive fixes and replacements further down the road. Here are five telltale signs you may need roof repair in Traverse City, MI:
- Cracked or curling shingles: Whether your roofing shingles were installed as individual pieces or in sections, materials are susceptible to all sorts of damage, ranging from minor cracks to torn tarpaper. Curling shingles can be a sign of aging, while cracked shingles could be due to age, poor quality or accelerated weakening from exposure to harsh elements. Whatever the cause, this type of damage needs fixing sooner rather than later.
- Granules in the gutters: Asphalt and stone-coated shingles tend to be a bit grainy. That is, they are manufactured with sand-like granules as a protective coating against the weather, including sunlight and damaging UV rays. Things like tree limbs hanging over your roof can scrape back and forth, knocking granules off. Strong winds can dislodge granules, too. It’s normal for rain to knock some off, but if large quantities of granules are collecting in your gutters or at the exit of your gutters’ downspouts, you could soon find your shingles bald and unprotected.
- Missing shingles: Curled shingles have the potential to become so loose that they simply tear away from your home’s roof. Missing shingles are easy to identify by seeing empty spots on the roof and by finding broken pieces or whole shingles lying on the ground. Call in the pros for roof repair in Traverse City, MI, and maybe even invest in an assessment of your roof, especially if it’s older and more than one shingle has fallen off.
- Damaged flashings: You will find flashing secured over seams where rooftop fixtures like HVAC units or ventilation stacks meet up with shingles. Interior water damage, moisture buildup inside the ceiling and problems with protective flashing materials can cause issues similar to when shingles go missing. Whether it’s damaged or missing, replace the flashing as soon as possible to avoid weather damage to exposed roofing.
- Roof leaks: Water appearing on the ceiling is a common sign of a leaky roof, but if you notice water streaks or actual water or moisture creeping down your walls, those signs could also point to a leak. Any level of suspicion should send you up into the attic looking for pooling water and moisture patches. Check the ceiling above these areas to see if the roof may be leaking, and then inspect your roof for damaged or missing shingles or flashing. Remember, water damage on both exterior facing and interior room walls can fall victim to water damage.
Whether the problem is damaged shingles or you are experiencing a leaky roof, give us a call at Qualified Roofing to make an appointment for roof repair in Traverse City, MI today.
Categorised in: Roof Repair